The process for getting a home sleep study:
- Referral from GP or specialist to Health Dynamics. This should include some completed questionnaires. If you score 4 or more in the STOP BANG questionnaire AND 8 or more in the ESS questionnaire and have a referral from your GP, you are eligible to have a sleep study without seeing a sleep physician first. A score of up to 10 is regarded as being in the normal range for the ESS.
- Once we receive the questionnaires with your referral we will book you in for a study (provided you meet the above criteria), otherwise we will suggest a consultation with one of our sleep physicians.
A copy of the referral form is here. You may wish to download it and complete the parts you can and then take to your GP.
Preparation for your home sleep study
- If coming from work please bring a top you can sleep in to wear.
- Be prepared to be connected to multiple ECG-style electrodes and some respiratory bands including on your face and head. Therefore you should NOT anticipate socialising (restaurant,etc.) or playing sport after you have been set-up.
- The top will have to be put on and have the recorder pinned to it and some respiratory bands placed around it and therefore unable to be removed until the morning.
- We suggest you wear a button/zip top or jacket to place over the equipment. People often go for hooded garments to disguise the wires.
- If you wear nail-polish or gels/acrylics please have one nail cleaned so an oximeter can be placed on that finger.
- Please remove any make-up/moisturiser/face oil serums.
- Please wash your hands thoroughly including your fingernails.
- Bring your Medicare card with you.
- There is an out-of-pocket cost so please bring your credit/debit card or money with you. Please phone your local office to check as to how much.
- If coming from a physical job you may wish to have a shower just prior to your appointment.
After your home sleep study
- Please remove the clip on electrodes and dispose of the dot electrodes and ONLY the sticky electrodes.
- Obviously remove the effort bands, nasal cannula and the oximeter.
- Keep the respiratory effort bands and the nasal cannula.
- Fill in the blanks on your tech sheet – time of final wakening, etc.
- Please return the device with the tape, instructions, notes, cannula, respiratory bands by 10am the following work day.
- The sleep study will be scored and then reported with results in one to two weeks.
- The report then gets sent to your GP and be contacted by us to notify you of this.